- "James Gordon, we could have a good thing, you and I...You just had to go and ruin it."
- —Sofia Falcone to Jim Gordon[src]
Sofia Falcone is a prolific mob boss who succeeded in dismantling Oswald Cobblepot's criminal empire and initiating the Falcone Home and School for Orphans. She is the daughter of the late Carmine Falcone, the sister of the late Mario Calvi, and the ex-lover of Jim Gordon.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Physical appearance
- 4 Abilities
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Behind the scenes
- 8 References
Sofia is the only daughter of Carmine Falcone. As a child, she broke her ankle playing with her cousins. Her father told her to ice it, but on the ride to the hospital, her mother explained that cold increases the pain, and what's needed is warmth.
Life in Miami
- "What do you think I've been doing down south the past ten years?"
- —Sofia Falcone to James Gordon[src]
James Gordon travelled to Miami to persuade Carmine Falcone to help him topple ruling crime lord Penguin, and met Sofia, horseriding prodigy. Gordon begged Falcone to help him restore order to Gotham, to which Sofia offered to help but was shut down by her father.
Return to Gotham
Sofia paid a visit to Oswald Cobblepot in Gotham, accompanied by Giovanni and Rinaldi who wanted her to resume leadership of the Falcone crime family. Oswald overpowered her, and had Victor Zsasz kill the capos. In return, Sofia invited Oswald to Janos Szabo's restaurant where she served goulash inspired by Oswald's mother, Gertrud Kapelput's, recipe.
After tailing her to a meeting wth Mayor Burke, Zsasz reported to Cobblepot that Sofia was up to something - in fact, renaming a historic orpahanage to the Falcone Home and School for Orphans. Cobblepot visited Sofia at the Home and befriended an orphan named Martin. Noting Mayor Burke's abscence, Cobblepot secretly asked Martin to spy on her.
Professor Pyg gatecrashed a charity dinner for the Home, held the guests hostage, and forced them to eat pies containing human organs. When Sofia protested, Professor Pyg stabbed her in the hand. After they were freed, Martin witnessed Sofia kissing Gordon, and reported this fact to Cobblepot.
War with Cobblepot
Cobblepot, who thought Sofia was interested in him, confronted Sofia over her affair with Gordon and handed her over to the torturer, the Dentist, who let her go after she threatened his family. Then, she was abducted by the Sirens who try to ransom her off to Cobblepot. Instead, Cobblepot had Zsasz to blow up their base. Gordon pus Sofia on a train to Miami under the alias Vanessa Harper, she was accosted midway by Zsasz, but released after revealing she had Martin hostage. Sofia met Cobblepot under the Crownpoint Bridge to hand over Martin, but Cobblepot appears to explode the boy with car bomb before declaring war on Sofia. Back at Falcone Manor, Carmine berated his daughter for her actions and forced her to return to Miami. In the driveway, an unmarked van opened fire on the family, crippling Sofia and killing Carmine. Rumor spread that Cobblepot was to blame. Sofia testified to Cobblepot killing Martin and he is arrested, which tips Gordon off to her schemes, and when confronted, she reveals that she was the mastermined behind Pyg's killings.
Becoming the new Don Falcone
With Penguin in Arkham, Sofia took control of Gotham's criminal underworld. After a cryptic phonecall to Gordon, Sofia invited Lee Thompkins to the Falcone Mansion to reminisce about her brother, and Lee's ex-fiance, Mario Calvi. As concerned leader of the Narrows, Lee questioned the illegal 30% tax on one of Gotham's poorest neighbourhoods, which Sofia justified as a necessary sacrifice. Later, Sofia met with Lee in the Narrows to ask her to hand over ownership of neighbourhood. Tensions escalated and shooting broke out, ending when Sofia crushed Lee's hand with a hammer.
After Edward Nygma rescued Martin, Sofia ordered Victor Zsasz to kill Cobblepot in Arkham. Cobblepot escaped, and she ordered the Sirens to capture Nygma instead. They did, and the Dentist tortured him for Cobblepot's location to no avail.
Victor Fries arrives with Penguin frozen in a block of ice, demanding a reward. But it's a ploy to rescue Nygma. Meanwhile, Sofia's bookeeper, Mr Penn, had gone missing and Zsasz finally tracked him to Spa Bo'sh Sumka. Sofia, her hired thugs, Gordon, and Bullock arrive at the spa and initiate a shootout.
Gordon killed two thugs in the kitchen before Sofia arrived and shot him in the shoulder. As she approached, she accused Gordon of being arrogant and repeating her father's short-sighted mistakes. Suddenly
, Lee entered the kitchen and shot Sofia between the eyes, putting her in a coma.
Sofia's plan to make Jim suffer for Mario's murder by sending Pyg on a killing spree succeded, leaving him with guilt over the cops killed by both Pyg and Sofia herself.
Sofia entering a coma created a power vacuum, one that Jerome Valeska and Gotham's other criminally insane competed to fill. Jerome's death followed by the rise of his twin brother, Jeremiah Valeska. During the No Man's Land era of Gotham, Penguin harboured lingering resentment against Sofia for her betrayal. Victor Zsasz also remained loyal to the Falcone name and resisted joining Cobblepot's gang as long as he could.
Despite being raised in the Falcone family, Sofia initially appeared to be a kind, caring, selfless, polite, respectful and naive young woman, she is far more honorable than her father as she appeared to have hold no grudge against Jim Gordon for killing her brother Mario, as she was fully aware that he was infected by the Alice Tetch virus and that Jim as she stating "you did what he had to do". Sofia also came across as a strong, manipulative, intelligent and calculating with the appearance of an innocent woman. She appeared to also be remorseful and guilty when seeing her father's remaining loyalists being murdered by Victor Zsasz in order to gain Oswald Cobblepot's trust, proving that she has a moral compass.
However, after Cobblepot's downfall and her father's death, it was revealed that most of these traits were nothing more than a facade in order to hide Sofia's true nature. Despite stating that she understood Jim's reason for killing her brother, her campaign in Gotham was nothing more than a vendetta to avenge him, no matter how many deaths it would take to achieve it. Although, while it is never shown of her relationship with her brother, it is assumed that it was a caring one, but however, given her true personality, it is possibly another façade.
In truth, Sofia is an emotionally and mentally unstable psychopath and is completely immune to guilt, as her true nature proves that she is cowardice, immorality, egotism, selfishness, hypocrisy, sadism, and ruthlessness. She also appeared to have no regard for the safety of children as she was more than willing to kidnap a child that Cobblepot was fond of and place him in danger in order to draw him out. Her delusional hypocrisy goes as far as to kill her own father as when he refused to allow her to rebuild his criminal empire, she simply thought of him being ungrateful. Thus far, her hunger for power pushed her far enough to have him killed in order to claim his place as the leader of his empire.
In addition to the above, Sofia has a sense of smugness and arrogance, reveling in outsmarting, outplaying, and outmaneuvering others and with both words and body language making clear her sense of superiority over others, such as when she viciously mutilated Lee Tompkins and then had her thrown into the streets just to be spiteful. however, her arrogance and overconfidence proved to be her downfall, for she made a lot of enemies who would later unite against her and hunt her down.
One of Sofia's most notable traits is how delusional she truly is, as she tries to defend her actions of killing her father, believing that he brought it upon himself.
Sofia is a petite, dark-haired woman with bushy brows. She wears a little light makeup and bright red lipstick. Her most iconic outfit is a pinstripe suit with black leather gloves, but she's often seen wearing low-cut black cocktail dresses with red accessories.
- "She's making alliances with politicians, building a fortress, all the while she's pretending to be my friend. She's been planning a war."
- —Oswald Cobblepot[src]
- High-level intellect: Sofia is an intelligent young businesswoman with a decade of experience running her father's mob business in Miami. She is also a skilled tactician and capable leader, manouvering the Falcone crime family to accumulate great wealth and avoid run-ins with the law.
- Manipulator: Although Sofia comes across as innocent and naïve, she is highly calculating. She tricked Jim Gordon (a hardened police detective) into a long-term relationship and manipulated him into taking down her rival, Oswald Cobblepot.
- Intimidation: Sofia commands an intimidating presence, capable of turning the most seasoned capo.
- Network: As a member of the Falcone family, Sofia has access to almost unlimited resources, and later, complete influence over Gotham's criminal underworld.
- Skilled markswoman: Sofia is capable at using firearms and counting her opponent's bullets.
- In "They Who Hide Behind Masks", Sofia stated she moved away from Gotham City when she was 13 and later stated she had spent the last 10 years living there, meaning that she is 23 years old at the time of her debut.
- During the second quarter of Season 4, Sofia appears as the hidden Bigger Bad (the force behind Professor Pyg) as she was secretly planning to take over the Gotham Underworld. She later becomes the main antagonist during the third quarter, before Jerome and Jeremiah Valeska take over.
- Sofia Falcone is the third and final villain who managed to destroy Penguin's criminal empire completely; following Theo Galavan and Edward Nygma.
- As of "A Dark Knight: Queen Takes Knight", Sofia is the last surviving member of the Falcone family.
- As of "A Dark Knight: The Sinking Ship, The Grand Applause", Sofia is in a coma.
- As of Legend of the Dark Knight: The Beginning..., it is unknown if Sofia is still in a coma if she had come out of it. If Sofia did come out of her coma (of-screen) she'll go to prison for all the crimes she's committed.
Behind the scenes
- In DC comics, Sofia made her debut in Batman: The Long Halloween #6 (May 1997) as one Carmine Falcone's three children. She later appeared in the sequel series Batman: Dark Victory (1999-2000) as the Hangman Killer, murdering Harvey Dent's associates to avenge her father's death. Like her relatives, she was designed to resemble a member of the Corleone crime family from The Godfather novel; in particular, Sonny Corleone due to her fiery temper.
- Though, due to her more tactical and calculating nature, Sofia in Gotham is more comparable to Michael Corleone.
- This version of Sofia is the first live action version of her character.
- Crystal Reed informed fans at Warsaw Comic Con in October 2018 that Sofia Falcone won't return to Gotham in season 5.