|01 "Year Zero"||07 "Ace Chemicals"|
|02 "Trespassers"||08 "Nothing's Shocking"|
|03 "Penguin, Our Hero"||09 "The Trial of Jim Gordon"|
|04 "Ruin"||10 "I Am Bane"|
|05 "Pena Dura"||11 "They Did What?"|
|06 "13 Stitches"||12 "The Beginning..."|
- "I know you're all asking, "Why are we still here when our own government wont help us?" Simple. We're supposed to giving these people hope. Hope that if they're in danger, someone will come. We will come. Suit up!"
- —Jim Gordon
Jim Gordon and Bruce Wayne face the chaos Gotham City has become. Their mission to keep the city safe becomes more complicated, as the villains who survived the attack on the city begin to resurface and claim various territories. Meanwhile, Selina Kyle grapples with how to deal with her uncertain future.
A flash-forward to the final day shows Jim Gordon, Harvey Bullock, Oswald Cobblepot, and Edward Nygma lead the GCPD in a gunfight atop a makeshift wall against heavily armed militants on the ground below.
Gotham is declared off-limits from the mainland by the government, allowing the city's criminals to gain numerous territories of the city whilst Gordon and the remaining GCPD officers gather refugees into the precinct for safety, though they soon begin to run out of supplies. In his transmission to the other side, he mentions that there are still innocent lives trapped in Gotham City while mentioning the territories claimed by Cobblepot (who claimed Gotham City Hall), Barbara Kean and the Sirens (who claimed the areas around their nightclub), and Scarecrow (who occupied Otisburg) while Victor Fries and Bridgit Pike are in a turf war and Jeremiah Valeska has not been sighted.
Bruce Wayne and Gordon begin to work together to rid the city of crime while Cobblepot begins to sell faulty ammunition around the city. Afterwards, the Scarecrow and his Scarecrow Gang steal their food and medicine, forcing Bruce to have Wayne Enterprises illegally fly supplies into the city.
Meanwhile, Nygma begins suffering from schizophrenic outbursts after he continuously blacks out and ends up in different locations upon waking up.
Simultaneously, Selina Kyle is operated on to prevent her spine from collapsing, though she remains paralyzed and she unsuccessfully attempts suicide; one of the hospital's doctors advises Bruce to seek out "The Witch" to save Selina.
Following a transmission from a woman stating to Gordon that he has allies on the other side of the river, he finds the map of the different criminal territories vandalized with a "Hahahaha" as he was unaware that Ecco snuck into Gotham City Police Department.
- We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn
- Pure Filth - The Graves
- Hit Me - Levent
- Tannhauser, Act II Scene 4 - Richard Wagner
- The title is a nod to Batman: Zero Year, which was a comic book event taking place in The New 52 / Rebirth continuity. It centered around Bruce Wayne's first year as Batman, during which the Riddler turned Gotham City into a wasteland and held it hostage, daring its residents to outsmart him.
- According to writer John Stephens, Season 5 will partially adapt Zero Year.
- The episode premiered on January 3, 2019.
- The subtitle for the fifth season is Legend of the Dark Knight. This is a reference to the comic book series Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, which originally launched in 1989.
- Jim Gordon is once again seen wearing his iconic trenchcoat that alludes to the character's classic outfit in the comics. He previously also wore it in "A Dark Knight: Queen Takes Knight" and "A Dark Knight: No Man's Land.
- This episode was Tabitha Galavan's final appearance of the series.
- Before Gotham was cancelled and only given a shortened final season to wrap things up, it was originally planned that Tabitha would fully embrace her villain identity as the Tigress, the supervillainess from the Batman comics on which Tabitha is based on. The Tigress would have been one of the big bads during the No Man's Land storyline in the originally planned season 5 that would have consisted of 22 episodes. However, when Gotham was cancelled and only given a total of 12 episodes to wrap things up in season 5, the Tigress arc had to be abandoned and it was decided to kill Tabitha off in the season premiere.
- While Tabitha did not fully transform into the Tigress as originally planned, she was previously called "The Tigress" in the episode "A Dark Knight: Stop Hitting Yourself" and referred to as "The Tiger Lady" in the season 2 episode "Rise of the Villains: By Fire".
- In "Legend of the Dark Knight: Year Zero", Tabitha is finally seen using a crossbow during her attack on Penguin's men at the warehouse. In the DC Comics, the Tigress' crossbow is the signature weapon of the character.
The scene in which Jim investigates the room where the Self-perpetuating Generator is stored was originally going to be longer. Gordon would have discovered Lucius Fox in the room who was just sprayed with Fear gas by Scarecrow during his attack on the GCPD. This extended scene was included as a bonus feature on the DVD and Blu-ray box set Gotham: The Complete Fifth Season.