- For the city in which the TV show is named after, see Gotham City.
- "The Good, the Evil, the Beginning."
- —Gotham's tagline
- "Before Batman, There was Gotham."
- —Gotham's second tagline
Gotham is an American fantasy/crime/drama television series created for the Fox network by Bruno Heller. It is based on a number of characters from the DC Comics universe, specifically those related to the Batman mythology. The main focus of the series is the back stories of Jim Gordon and Bruce Wayne, both created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, as well as those of several other well known Batman-related characters including the Penguin, the Riddler, and a young Catwoman. The series premiered in the 2014-15 television season. FOX announced Gotham would start airing September 22, 2014. It was renewed on January 17, 2015 for a second season. On March 17, 2016, it was renewed for a third season. On May 11, 2017, it was renewed for a fourth season. On May 13, 2018, it was renewed for a fifth and final season, which began airing on January 3, 2019.
Everyone knows the name Commissioner Gordon. He is one of the crime world's greatest foes, a man whose reputation is synonymous with law and order. But what is known of Gordon's story and his rise from rookie detective to Police Commissioner? What did it take to navigate the multiple layers of corruption that secretly ruled Gotham City, the spawning ground of the world's most iconic villains? And what circumstances created them – the larger-than-life personas who would become Catwoman, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face and The Joker?
GOTHAM is an origin story of the great DC Comics super villains and vigilantes, revealing an entirely new chapter that has never been told. From executive producer/writer Bruno Heller (The Mentalist, Rome), GOTHAM follows one cop's rise through a dangerously corrupt city teetering on the edge of evil and chronicles the birth of one of the most popular super heroes of our time.
Growing up in Gotham City's surrounding suburbs, James Gordon (Ben McKenzie, Southland, The O.C.) romanticized the city as a glamorous and exciting metropolis where his late father once served as a successful district attorney. Now, two weeks into his new job as a Gotham City detective and engaged to his beloved fiancée, Barbara Kean (Erin Richards, Open Grave, Breaking In), Gordon is living his dream – even as he hopes to restore the city back to the pure version he remembers it was as a kid.
Brave, honest and ready to prove himself, the newly-minted detective is partnered with the brash, but shrewd police legend Harvey Bullock (Donal Logue, Sons of Anarchy, Terriers, Vikings, Copper), as the two stumble upon the city's highest-profile case ever: the murder of local billionaires Thomas and Martha Wayne. At the scene of the crime, Gordon meets the sole survivor: the Waynes' hauntingly intense 12-year-old son, Bruce (David Mazouz, Touch), toward whom the young detective feels an inexplicable kinship. Moved by the boy's profound loss, Gordon vows to catch the killer.
As he navigates the often-underhanded politics of Gotham's criminal justice system, Gordon will confront imposing gang boss Fish Mooney (Jada Pinkett Smith, The Matrix films, HawthoRNe, Collateral), and many of the characters who will become some of fiction's most renowned, enduring villains, including a teenaged Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman (acting newcomer Camren Bicondova) and Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin (Robin Lord Taylor, The Walking Dead, Another Earth).
Although the crime drama follows Gordon's turbulent and singular rise through the Gotham City police department, led by Police Captain Sarah Essen (Zabryna Guevara, Burn Notice), it also focuses on the unlikely friendship Gordon forms with the young heir to the Wayne fortune, who is being raised by his unflappable butler, Alfred (Sean Pertwee, Camelot, Elementary). It is a friendship that will last them all of their lives, playing a crucial role in helping the young boy eventually become the crusader he's destined to be.
GOTHAM is based upon characters published by DC Comics and is produced by Warner Bros. Television. Executive producer Bruno Heller (The Mentalist) wrote the pilot, which was directed and executive-produced by Emmy Award nominee Danny Cannon (the CSI series, Nikita).
- Ben McKenzie as James Gordon (season 1-5)
- Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock (season 1-5)
- David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne (season 1-5)
- Sean Pertwee as Alfred Pennyworth (season 1-5)
- Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot (season 1-5)
- Erin Richards as Barbara Kean (season 1-5)
- Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle (season 1-5)
- Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma (season 1-5)
- Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean/Cyrus Gold (season 1-4)
- Morena Baccarin as Dr. Leslie Thompkins (season 1-5)
- Chris Chalk as Lucius Fox (season 1-5)
- Jada Pinkett Smith as Fish Mooney (season 1-3)
- John Doman as Carmine Falcone (season 1-4)
- Zabryna Guevara as Sarah Essen (season 1-2)
- James Frain as Theo Galavan/Azrael (season 2)
- Jessica Lucas as Tabitha Galavan (season 2-5)
- Michael Chiklis as Nathaniel Barnes (season 2-3)
- Benedict Samuel as Jervis Tetch (season 3-5)
- Maggie Geha & Peyton List as Ivy Pepper (season 1-5)
- Nicholas D'Agosto as Harvey Dent (season 1-2)
- Andrew Stewart Jones as Crispus Allen (season 1)
- Victoria Cartagena as Renee Montoya (season 1)
- Crystal Reed as Sofia Falcone (season 4)
- Alexander Siddig as Ra's al Ghul (season 3-4)
- Clare Foley as Ivy Pepper (season 1-3)
- Richard Kind as Aubrey James (season 1-3)
- David Zayas as Sal Maroni (season 1)
- Carol Kane as Gertrud Kapelput (season 1-2)
- J.W. Cortes as Alvarez (season 1-5)
- Chelsea Spack as Kristin Kringle/Isabella (season 1-3)
- Anthony Carrigan as Victor Zsasz (season 1-5)
- Alex Corrado as Gabe (season 1-3)
- Charlie Tahan & David W. Thompson as Jonathan Crane (season 1, 4-5)
- Cameron Monaghan as Jerome Valeska/Jeremiah Valeska (season 1-5)
- Nathan Darrow as Victor Fries (season 2-4)
- BD Wong as Hugo Strange (season 2-5)
- Tonya Pinkins as Ethel Peabody (season 2-3)
- Leslie Hendrix as Kathryn (season 3)
- Jamie Chung as Valerie Vale (season 3)
- James Carpinello as Mario Calvi (season 3)
- Michelle Veintimilla & Camila Perez as Bridgit Pike (season 2-4)
- Andrew Sellon as Arthur Penn (season 4-5)
- Michael Cerveris as Lazlo Valentine/Professor Pyg (season 4)
- Francesca Root-Dodson as Ecco (Season 4-5)
- Shane West as Eduardo Dorrance (season 5)
- Jaime Murray as Theresa Walker (Season 5)
- ↑ http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-entertainment-give-classic-batman-824572
- ↑ "Gotham To Serve As Origin Story For Batman’s Entire Universe" - Boomtron
- ↑ Fox Fall 2014 Premiere Dates Revealed: Find Out When Gotham, The Mindy Project and More Premiere - EOnline
- ↑ Press Release: FOX Officially Renews Gotham For Season 2 - Gothamsite
- ↑ Gotham Renewed for Season 3 at Fox - TVLine