- "He who rises from the waters, whom death shall not touch... with this sacred blade, his final savage destiny shall be fulfilled. The earth will quake. Blood will flow. All tremble before the Demon's Head."
The Embalming Knife of King Balahsi is a magical artifact passed down by the leader of the League of Shadows to his successor. This embalming knife has the power to kill people who have been revived by the Lazarus Pit, instantly turning them to their true age. The knife was originally used to embalm ancient Mesopotamian ruler King Balahsi.
The knife was used in ancient Mesopotamia to embalm King Balahsi in the first century. Alex Winthrop, an avid student of history, noted that the cuneiform present on the knife was pre-Phoenician, and was translated through the use of a Palmerian Codex by Niles Winthrop.
When Barbara used the dagger (with Bruce) upon a newly resurrected Ra's months later, Ra's was turned into complete ash.
The Balahsi knife was later recovered by Nyssa al Ghul. When she came to Gotham for vengeance, she used the dagger as a weapon. She used it to murder all of the Sisters of the League at the Sirens nightclub who had betrayed her father and his vision. When Lee Thompkins and Barbara Kean later arrived at the Sirens in the immediate aftermath of the fight, Nyssa wielded it in front of Barbara Kean and her newborn daughter.
A few hours later, Barbara with the help of Gordon, used the knife to stab Nyssa in the stomach, wounding her and forcing her to retreat from Gotham completely.
- "A Dark Knight: They Who Hide Behind Masks"
- "A Dark Knight: The Demon's Head"
- "A Dark Knight: The Blade's Path"
- "A Dark Knight: To Our Deaths and Beyond"
- "A Dark Knight: No Man's Land"
- "Legend of the Dark Knight: Pena Dura" (indirectly mentioned)
- "Legend of the Dark Knight: I Am Bane"
- "Legend of the Dark Knight: They Did What?"